Nurse Practitioner in Critical Care
The Indian Nursing Council has initiated the “Nurse Practitioner in Critical Care Program” (NPCC) programme, the first postgraduate nursing residency program in India. The program is approved by the Government of India and launched by the Health Minister and it is announced on the INC website in the year 2017. We at R V College of Nursing have been successfully implementing the NPCC program since this year 2021-22. It is 2 year residency programme, leading to a master’s degree, which prepares the candidates to be well equipped to perform independently in the Critical care setting.
The program consists of various courses of study that are based on strong scientific foundations including evidenced based practice and the management of complex health systems. These are built upon the bachelor’s program in nursing. They can practice in ICUs of Tertiary care Hospitals based on institutional protocols. When authorized by the nursing regulatory councils, state or national laws, they may prescribe drugs, medical equipment and therapies. The Nurse Practitioners in Critical Care when exercising prescriptive authority or drug administration as per institutional protocols, they are accountable for the competency in
- Patient selection/admission into ICU and discharge
- Problem identification through appropriate assessment
- Selection/administration of medication or non invasive devices or therapies
- Patients education for use of therapeutics
- Knowledge of interactions of therapeutics, if any
- Evaluation of outcomes and
- Recognition and management of complications and untoward reactions.
Career Opportunities of Nurse Practitioners Critical Care
Upon completion of the course, graduates will be eligible to work in intensive care units, emergency departments and specialized care units in advanced practice roles such as clinical experts, managers, educators and consultants. They are prepared to provide advanced nursing care to adults in the critical care units of tertiary care centers. Graduates are prepared to assume responsibility and accountability for the care of critically ill patients under his/her care.
Highlights of the program
- Postgraduate residency program
- Medical preceptors are involved in mentoring, thesis guidance and evaluation
- Nurse preceptors support the clinical learning
- Nursing faculty oversee the implementation of the program and conduct classes
The NP program is a Nursing residency program with a main focus on Competency based training. The duration is of two years with the curriculum consisting of theory that includes core courses, advanced practice courses and clinical courses besides clinical practicum which is a major component.
On completion of the program, the NP will be able to
- Assume responsibility and accountability to provide competent care to critically ill patients and appropriate family care in tertiary care centers.
- Demonstrate clinical competence / expertise in providing critical care which includes diagnostic reasoning, complex monitoring and therapies
- Apply theoretical, patho-physiological and pharmacological principles and evidence base in implementing therapies / interventions in critical care.
- Identify the critical conditions and carry out interventions to stabilize as per the institutional protocol and restore patient’s health and minimize or manage complications collaboratively as a part of critical care team.
- Collaborate with other health care professionals in the critical care team, across the continuum of critical care.
Aspirants must possess a registered B.Sc nurse with a minimum of one year clinical experience, preferably in any critical care setting prior to enrollment.
Sanctioned seats at RVCON: – 15
Course Duration: – 2 years
Courses of instruction
- Theoretical basis for Advanced Practice Nursing
- Research Application and Evidence Based Practice in critical care
- Advanced skills in Leadership, Management and Teaching skills
Advanced Practice Courses:-
- Advanced Pathophysiology applied to Critical Care
- Advanced Pharmacology applied to Critical Care
- Advanced Health/Physical assessment
- Foundations of Critical Care Nursing Practice
- Critical Care Nursing I
- Critical Care Nursing II
|Fee structure for Management Seats|
|Tuition fee, by DD, infavour of R.V.College of Nursing, payable at Bengaluru OR Online Payment.|
|Total amount Rs.||Rs.||
College Fee for
in favour of R.V.College of Nursing,
Through DD OR Online Payment.|
in favour of R V Girls Hostel, Bengaluru.
@ Rs.4,000/- including 5%GST : per month, at present. |